Sunday, January 20th
GBTC Invitational
21 min warm up
2:35 PM - Invitational Mile - 4:17 (66, 61, 63, 67), 5th place
15 min cool down
Total = 6 Miles
7:30 PM - 6 Miles, 39 min
The race didn't go quite as planned but I guess it wasn't terrible either. It went out slow in the first quarter and most of us were stepping on one another and I found myself really chopping my strides. At the 400, Ned moved up to the lead and I followed. We hit that next quarter in 61 which strung things out a little but was still bunched up at the front. At this point I was a little frustrated by how things were going and found myself taking the lead at the half. I had planned on making a move with 600 to go so this was a little earlier than I wanted. Once I was out in front I figured I had to run hard. I ran the next quarter in 63 hitting the 1200 in 3:10. At that point, Miller went around me and I tried to latch on but just couldn't respond. All the moving around and gear changing had zapped my legs and I just ran out of gas. Shortly after Miller went by, DeWitt and Taye followed, then Roland got me right at the line.
It certainly wasn't the time I was looking for but I can at least look back and say that I made a race out of it. I took chances and put myself in the mix to see what I could do. It was my first race and not a distance I do very often so I can't beat myself up over it. Based on the workouts I've done, I have to at least be happy with the fact that I could respond to those early moves and change gears like that in the middle of the race. I'm sure if it had gone out faster and stayed more consistent, I probably could have run 4-5 seconds faster, but that's what happens in racing, things don't always go the way you want them to. So it was a missed opportunity to run a fast time, but it got some of the rust out of my legs and gave me something to build off of for next week.
There were a lot of other great performances at the meet and overall the NB Boston squad was represented pretty well. Also, on the road, our buddy Mario was getting it done by winning the frostbite 15K in a new PR of 48:40. So congrats to all of them and I look forward to an exciting weekend of races next weekend.
Training Log (Jan 14-20)
Monday: 10 Miles, 70 min (treadmill)
Tuesday: Mile @ 4:42, 3.5mr, 8 x 400 @ 63-64 w/1.5mr, 4mr, 400 @ 60; Total- 10 Miles
Wednesday: 6 Miles, 40 min
Thursday: 6 Miles, 40 min
Friday: 8 Miles, 54 min
Saturday: 5 Miles, 35 min
Sunday: GBTC Inv. - Mile (4:17); 12 Miles
Total = 57 Miles, 7 runs
Low mileage week since I've had a lot going on and my legs have been feeling pretty tired. I should be able to bump it up a little more in the next 2 weeks before starting my taper leading into Valentine and Ireland
No comments:
Post a Comment