Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Flagstaff, Arizona

The journey across the country has begun (again!). This time I decided to take a different route and hit some other parts of the country that I have yet to see. My first stop was Flagstaff, Arizona, also known for being one of the premier training spots in the US for endurance athletes, runners in particular. I've heard so many great things about this small mountain town and I have to say it didn't disappoint.

I was fortunate enough to stay with Ian Burrell and his wife Courtney as they provided me with great hospitality. I was only in Flagstaff for two nights but I certainly had a chance to experience many of the great aspects this area has to offer. I spent most of my time with the McMillan Elite group, founded by Greg McMillan. I have to say that he's done a really great job with this team. In only two years, they have become one of the top training groups in the country and seem to have a great setup for their athletes.

I met with the group Monday morning for a run with some moderate speed and agility work at the NAU track. I was feeling pretty good, but after a few sets of the faster paced stuff, I was feeling my hamstring and decided to back off on the rest of the workout. Later in the day, I was able to get an appointment at the world famous Wharton Experience and was worked on by Austin Baillie who did an excellent job and helped me a lot with some of the injury problems I've been having.

Later that evening, we all went to Alicia Shay's house for a huge Mexican themed potluck dinner. The majority of the elite running community was there including the McMillan athletes, the Wharton Health group that I met earlier and many others that I had only admired from afar. I met some really cool people there and had some unbelievable food as well!

Before leaving the next morning, we had a running group of about 15 guys (including Olympians Martin Fagan and Andrew Lemoncello) and went on a great 11 Mile tour of the beautiful Flagstaff trails.

I left Flagstaff feeling really good about my experience there and will definitely make an effort to return for a longer visit in the future. I took some pictures of the area, including the famous Buffalo Park and have included a few of them here for your viewing pleasure.

Next up: Albuquerque, New Mexico.






1 comment:

Kevin said...

Thanks for the photos. I've never seen what Flagstaff looks like until now. Sorry things didn't work out for you out west, but it's good to see you'll be back at it at home in no time.