Tuesday, April 8: 6:00 PM - Workout @ Bentley
1000m @ 2:59, 2mr, 1.5Mi @ 7:33 (road), 2mr
1000m @ 2:54, 2mr, 1.5Mi @ 7:31 (road), 2mr
1000m @ 2:49
25 min w/u, 26 min c/d
Wednesday, April 9: 8:00 AM - 6 Miles, 39 min w/ Libby
Thursday, April 10: 7:30 AM - 8 Miles, 52 min
Friday, April 11: 12:30 PM - 9 Miles, 60 min @ the Fells, strides on the Tufts track after (w/ spikes)
Saturday, April 12: 12:00 PM - Bernard Solomon Invitational
22 min w/u, 1500m - 4:01.44 (1st place), 42 min c/d
63, 2:07 (64), 3:11 (64), 4:01 (50)
Sunday, April 13: 7:00 PM - 12 Miles, 80 min
Week Total = 64 Miles, 1 Workout, 1 Race
So I've been busy! I apologize for this getting up late but there's been a lot going on and there's a lot to talk about.
First, let's talk about the race. There wasn't really much to write home about on this one. This was my opener/rustbuster so my goals going into it were 1.) get a feel for running in spikes again 2.) get something faster than 5K pace and 3.) get back into race mode. I did run in spikes and they felt fine (check), I did go faster than 5K pace... barely (check), but I didn't get back into race mode, which was probably the more important of the three, so that will have to wait til Oregon. I went to the meet on Saturday with no expectations but I was confident in my training and therefore hoping to run fairly fast. I never got nervous, and never really got into the mentality of racing. I started well, took the lead after about 150m and just zoned out the rest of the race, feeling like there was no one else on the track. I was just going through the motions like any other workout, and about 5 min after the race, I felt like I should have been getting ready for my next interval. In my defense, I shouldn't have expected much faster than I ran since about 90% of the workouts I've done in the last 6 weeks have been at 4:40 pace or slower. So even though 63-64 felt fine, there just wasn't anywhere to go from there.
The outcome of this race wasn't important and therefore I'm not really concerned with the fact that I ran a faster 1500 four years ago. The good thing about doing the 1500 here is that regardless of the time I ran, I know it doesn't change what I'm capable of doing in the 5K. I know my workouts have been going well and I know I'm pretty fit for this stage in the season. Like all my other workouts recently, Tuesday's workout went great... it felt really easy and I just floated through those 1000's. So when I get on the starting line at Hayward Field in 2 weeks, I'm not going to be thinking about the 1500 I just ran, I'll be thinking about all the other work I've put in, the long intervals on the track, the 2 x tempo runs with Ryan, the hill sessions with Jon and Thomas, or the fact that both mentally and physically, I'm ready to run hard than ever before. If I can just keep putting in the work, I think things will work out pretty well.
My next point of discussion, and main reason that this post is late, is the craziness that is my job right now. I have been walking around like a zombie and just exhausted at the end of each day. Marathon season is kicking my ass right now. Between working over in the Wellesley store, doing clinics for local clubs, endless promotions, and everything else, I just can't seem to get enough done and therefore cannot wait to be finished with it all. Normally these type of things would be something I'd enjoy doing, but it's just too much at once and that's why I have to give it up right now. I only have a week left to go, but in these last 6 days, I'm scheduled for 56 hours of work, which will surely turn into over 60. It's going to be a rough week and it will be hard to find motivation. However, I know the end is near, so I just need to grit my teeth, get through it and try to conserve as much energy as I can for the more important things to follow.
On a more positive note, after my last day of work, there will be a lot of exciting things going on. As you all know, this next weekend Boston will not only be hosting the famous Boston Marathon but will also play host to the Women's Olympic Marathon Trials. It is a very exciting time to be in
Boston and there will not be a moment to miss. In addition to having two great races to watch, I will also have a chance to see many of my friends through these events... both old and new, from near and far, these talented people will be here to compete in these great races. To note a few, one of my great friends, Rich Heffron (in the hat on the left), will be traveling in from Chicago and will be staying with me over the weekend as he competes in his 2nd marathon (his first being a 2:33 in Detroit). I haven't seen Rich since he returned from Yemen last year so it's been a while and will be great to have him here for a few days.To follow up behind this exciting race on Sunday, will be an equally exciting race on Monday with so many great runners. In addition to Rich, there will be several runners that I'll be paying close attention to, including local buddies: Ryan Carrara, Mario Fraioli, Nate Jenkins, Mark Larosa, Chris Voce, Christy Mae Carrara, Shad Miller, Jason Bialka, as well as some Maine friends: Anne Martin, Dan Vassallo, Evan Graves, Matt Hougan and Sam Van Volkenburgh. And then behind all of them of course, there's Lance to look out for!
I certainly have a busy week ahead but as long as I can keep my legs under me, get the work done, get the rest I need, I'm sure I'll get through it fine and be treated to some amazing experiences along the way.
To all the people I mentioned above and any other competitors I didn't mention, good luck this weekend and we'll hope for good weather for you! To those of you getting ready for other races both on and off the track, keep training hard and have faith in everything you're doing!
And to all the rest of you that have nothing better to do than read this blog....
Stay tuned!
1 comment:
AH that colorado picture is amazing! That was such a great summer!
Post a Comment