Sunday, March 9, 2014

Same Story, New Chapter

As you can likely tell just from looking at previous posts, I haven’t been using this platform as much in terms of sharing information in the last couple years.  Partly because I haven’t been running competitive races and certainly haven’t been training like I used to.  Therefore, I've had less of that information to share.  But it’s also been due to a lack of time that I've committed to this blog.  With the help of social media, I've been able to allow people to follow my goals and pursuits through a series of short posts.  But for anything that requires more than 140 characters and more involved discussions, this blog does serve that purpose.  And the content of today’s post certainly warrants that use.

For those of you that have known me well, I’m sure you understand my interest and commitment to being an advocate for the running community and the sport/industry that encompasses it.  I believe this community attracts the most passionate and respected individuals, along with the best qualities of athleticism and human value.  This is why I constantly surround myself with it and also want to see it grow.  I joined the Saucony team 2 ½ years ago because I saw it as the best place for me to utilize my own personal values and passions as an extension of my role and responsibilities for their brand.  Over that time, I've formed relationships within this extended family that I know will last a lifetime.  More than just an appreciation for great products, I've always had a greater appreciation for brand, teams, and individuals that stay true to their beliefs and are confident in the voice they amplify.  This is why Saucony has attracted some of the best people in this industry and some of the most passionate people in our sport.  

I think you all know how much I've enjoyed promoting the qualities of the Saucony brand, and I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.  However, after 2 ½ years as a Technical Field Representative, I have made the difficult decision to leave my position and pursue a greater professional opportunity with another passionate team in our sport.  My goals will continue to be the same and the career decisions I make will always be to continue learning and to continue growing a passionate audience to share that knowledge with.  When I look back at my life thus far and think of everything I've done, I often segment that story into chapters.  The segment that covers the last 2 ½ years has undoubtedly been the most important chapter in this story thus far.

Without further ado, I am thrilled to announce that my next chapter will officially start on Monday, March 10th, at which point I will be joining the ElliptiGO team as their East Territory Sales Manager.  The ElliptiGO team is one of the most passionate teams I have ever met, and they possess all the same goals and passions that I do personally.  Those goals are extensive, but ultimately boil down to increasing the longevity of the runner and thereby increasing their lifespan in this great community, and on this planet.  If you haven’t seen this product in action, I encourage you to watch this video and related videos to further understand what you can accomplish through this training tool.



Because I know my audience well, I can assume that most of you reading this are in some way a part of the running community.  I can also assume that most of you are runners yourself.  As a runner, you likely have the same inherent desire to improve yourself as I do.  We know that running, either competitive or recreational, gives us those rewards and satisfactions.  We see it in ourselves and we see it in those around us.  But we are also human, and no matter how indestructible we may feel at times, we know that our bodies have their limits.  The difficulty, as well as the excitement of that is we can’t accurately predict these limits.  Through education and experience, we discover the best ways to approach those limits without reaching a breaking point.  But even the most calculated of training plans can result in reaching one or more breaking point, leaving us sidelined with an injury, leaving us frustrated and uninspired, and leaving more untapped potential on the table with each passing week, month, or year.

For many, we can survive a few of these frustrations and get back on the horse so to speak.  But if it happens too often, there comes a time when runners decide to hang up their shoes and move on.  What if we were never forced to that point?  What if we could add an extra 10, 20, or 30 years of running to our lives?  What could we accomplish with that added time?  We’d certainly be healthier and happier.  We’d continue to surround ourselves with the community that attracted us to the sport in the first place.  We don’t want running to be just a 5-10 or even 15-20 year pursuit.  We want it to be a lifetime pursuit.  We want runners to always be part of that running club, part of that training program, be part of that fun run, be at more races throughout the year, be in our running stores more often, etc.  Whatever it is that you enjoy about this community, we want you to keep doing it.  Why would we allow ourselves to forget how great those things are?  And why would we ever leave it all behind?  I know I've allowed myself to start down that path in some ways, which I’m not happy to admit.  I know what you’re thinking… I've been connected to the running community in so many ways over the last few years, but I've also allowed injuries and frustration to limit many of the activities that were so rewarding to me.  And I’m excited to start reversing that direction.

We all know that cross training can limit the loss of potential fitness and help us pick up where we left off once we finally return from an injury.  But the traditional options we've been given over the years with aqua joggers, stationary bikes, and elliptical machines don’t give us the same workout or satisfaction that running does, which again affects our motivation and commitment to keeping up with it.  Those alternatives also require quite a bit of modification to the length of the workout to get a similar affect.  We always got in our normal 30-60 min run every day with ease, but we don’t always have an extra 3-4 hours to devote to a daily workout.  What if we had an option that we could use to more closely simulate a running workout, in the same amount of time, with the same reward, satisfaction, and excitement that we get from running, and all of it being outside where we want to be?  My personal belief, and the belief of so many others, is that ElliptiGO provides us with that answer.

But don’t just think of it as a tool for when you get injured.  Think of it also as a way to push your calculated fitness potential further than what it was if you were just running.  There are many runners in our sport that haven’t had many injuries, which is fantastic.  It means they've figured out the biggest secret of success in our sport, which is staying healthy.  But what if they were to add an extra 30-40 miles of running per week?  They might accomplish a lot more, or they might get injured and accomplish a lot less.  That athlete probably doesn't take that chance because it’s a risk they can’t afford to take.  But what if they removed the risk?  Would they try it then?

If you’re looking to find answers to those questions, I encourage you to look into The ElliptiGO Project.  This is a sponsorship program that targets athletes that are seeking their fullest potential and have the greatest opportunities for setting the highest standards of athleticism in our sport.  Even these accomplished athletes, the best our sport has ever seen, believe that they haven’t reached their fullest potential and they realize that there is a lot of opportunity to make up that gap with the ElliptiGO.  The ElliptGO Project Advisors include Lauren Fleshman and Adam Goucher, who both bring incredible experience and expertise in all areas of the sport.

No matter what level of runner you think you are, I encourage you to at least experience a ride on one of these and let me know what you think.  Let me know if you think you can get closer to the potential you know you have within yourself.

As I get started in my new role, I will be in New Orleans for the AmericanAcademy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Meeting from March 11-14.  I will then be in NYC for the New York City Half Marathon on March 16, where we will be supporting ElliptiGO athlete Meb Keflezighi, as well as partnering with NYRR as we engage with the community.  Fast forward a few weeks and I will be at the Boston Marathon for my 16th year in a row, supporting what I believe will be one of the best running events this sport has ever seen.

Please let me know if you’ll be at any of these events and I’ll ensure that we connect in one way or another.  As always, I can’t thank you enough for your interest and support.  We are making a difference, but I know we can do so much more!

1 comment:

djsipe said...

Congrats Jeff. Sounds like a great company.